WordPress VIP is the digital platform of choice for the world's top brands and publishers. Our expertise running performant, secure, and stable applications at scale enables our clients to power high-touch digital experiences with ease. Our platform combines the unparalleled WordPress user experience with enterprise-grade infrastructure and best-in-class support, serving billions of web requests per day.
About The Role:
We're looking for experienced engineers to help us build our platform and future products. Our work touches all levels of the stack. Along with our enterprise WordPress offering, you will get to work with technologies such as Node.js, GraphQL, Go, Docker, Elasticsearch, and React. If you love solving exciting problems and want to help empower development teams working at some of the most high-profile, high-traffic sites out there, come join us.
We're looking for someone who can:
- Develop and maintain WordPress plugins.
- Develop and maintain WordPress integrations (e.g.: Elasticsearch, Memcache, custom cron implementations, etc...).
- Troubleshoot and debug complex WordPress applications in single site, multisite, and decoupled configurations.
- Perform on-call duties on a rotating basis for the platform including troubleshooting failed actions, fixing underlying issues in services, triaging bug reports, and actioning requests.
- Implement solutions end-to-end, from the highest WordPress layer all the way down to the underlying platform services and infrastructure.
- Deep, demonstrable knowledge of WordPress.
- Experience with a large-scale system to make it faster, more scalable, and fault-tolerant.
- A highly collaborative work style; you love participating in code reviews and in discussions about architecture and design.
- Passion and experience in software development.
- Knowledge about design patterns and testability; experience with testing frameworks, performance testing, and unit testing is very welcome.
- Thoughtfulness about product design, with good user experience instincts.
- A willingness to learn.
Extra credit if you have experience with:
- Building things using: Elasticsearch, GraphQL, decoupled architectures.
- Open source contributions or contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
- Experience working on accessibility.
- Data analysis experience, and understanding of how analytics can help with product decisions.
- Product management experience.
- Engineering leadership experience.
These are exciting times at WordPress VIP and you'll have a unique opportunity to shape the future of our platform.
How we work:
- We're fully distributed! This isn't your typical work from home job. Everyone works from the location they choose. We're spread out all over the world in more than 70 countries.
- We're kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed and principles.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We're cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce around the world.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
- Open vacation policy (no set number of days per year). We encourage all employees to take the time they need for vacation, to pursue their own interests, to stay healthy, and to spend time with friends and family.
- Home office setup and coworking allowances. You can even work from a coffee shop and use your coworking allowance for the requisite latte.
- We happily provide or reimburse hardware and software you'll need, as well as books or conferences that promote continued learning.
- Company-sponsored life insurance.
- Open parental leave (includes maternity, paternity, and adoption). If you've been with Automattic for 12 months, your leave is fully paid.
- WordPress-branded laptop at your four-year anniversary. A spiffy set of wireless headphones at your seven-year anniversary.
- Paid two to three-month sabbatical encouraged every five years.
- We cover all costs of company travel, so dust off that passport! Your team will get together one to three times per year in locations around the globe. Note: All company travel is currently suspended due to COVID-19.
- Other benefits are country-specific, and include health, vision, and dental insurance; matching retirement/pension contributions; childcare vouchers; income protection; travel insurance; and discount offers.